VISIT LEGENDARY FERNIE
Easily accessible along the famous Powder Highway in southern British Columbia and situated along the borders of Alberta and Montana, this passionate, historic ski town receives up to 37 FEET of powder a season. Fernie’s five legendary bowls, endless thigh high burners and charming atmosphere make for a truly unforgettable experience in the heart of the Canadian Rockies.
Epic snow. Vast mountains. Passionate, adventurous and down-to-earth people. Warm hospitality and a community that thrives in a laid-back atmosphere. This is the Canadian Rockies – Fernie Style.
In Fernie, legendary skiing and snowboarding fuses with real stories from locals, pioneers, ski bums and free skiers as well as the stunning scenery of the surrounding Lizard Range to create a distinct mountain town culture free of pretense and full of fun.
At Fernie Mountain Resort, enjoy an authentic experience that many will tell you is a dream mountain for all true skiers and riders. Enjoy the resort’s array of wide-open bowls, chutes and long meandering tree runs. With it comes the convenience of ski-in, ski-out lodging and on-mountain dining.
Just 10 minutes away back down in town, you’ll find additional lodging, dining and shopping options, all prepared to enhance your stay in this cozy destination. When you’re ready to head back up the mountain, a shuttle service is ready and waiting.
The most important thing to do when visiting Fernie is to take time to revel in the legendary powder. The vast terrain in Fernie – including 5 distinct alpine bowls and a wealth of gladed areas – gets dumped with an average of 9 metres (30 feet) annually!
Take full advantage of this powder paradise with a private first tracks session. Available for groups of up to three people, these sessions allow you to be the first on the mountain to shred powder (or fresh corduroy) with your dedicated guide from 8am to 10am.
Other activities for Fernie explorers to enjoy:
- Explore the wealth of multi-use trails on fat bike or by snowshoe. Rent your equipment and head out on your own or participate in a guided tour.
- Glide through over 50 kilometers of track-set cross country ski trails.
- Play shinny at the public outdoor NHL sized rink, or cheer on the Ghostriders, Fernie’s Junior B Hockey team.
- Restore mind and body with a variety of spa & wellness facilities located amidst the mountains.
ARTS & CULTURE
Beyond the mountain, Fernie offers a wealth of small-town charm and a vibrant arts and culture scene.
- Explore the historic downtown, complete with picturesque heritage buildings, unique shops, local cuisine, and local craft brewers and distillers who offer everything from beer and spirits to coffee and kombucha.
- Learn about the Ktunaxa Nation (also known as the Kootenai or Kootenay), whose people have occupied the region for over 10,000 years. Visitors to the region can learn more about the Ktunaxa by visiting the St. Eugene Mission Interpretive Centre and the Fernie Museum. A pull-out near Michel Creek at the former townsite of Michel offers visitors further information about the Michel Plains people.
- Visit the Arts Station, which offers a varied program of entertainment and activities throughout the year including live concerts, film screenings, pottery workshops (like Wine and Wheel), community theatre, gallery shows, and creative classes for all ages.
- Stop in at the Fernie Arts Co-op, which features the works of dozens of local artists.
- Check out movie night at the Vogue Theatre. This classic style independent theatre also offers a 2nd floor full of new and vintage arcade and table games. The second floor can also be rented out for private events.
MERIT TRAVEL’S FERNIE SPECIALS + PROMOS
Save on snow-filled fun with these specials!
- Kids Ski Free at Fernie Alpine Resort*
- Book 5 or more nights at Fernie Slopeside, Lizard Creek Lodge by Nov. 30, 2021, and receive 10% OFF of lodging**
- Stay 7 nights, pay 6 at Snow Creek Lodge and Cabins, Timberline Condos, Pinnacle Ridge, Polar Peak and Thunder Ridge Town Homes***
- Book your ski package by Nov. 30, 2021, and receive 15% OFF 5 and 6 day lift tickets****
Terms and conditions: *Kids ski free: book before November 30, 2021. Kids 12 and under ski free when one adult purchases a lift ticket of same duration. **Receive 10% off of lodging when you book 5 or more nights, from Dec 17, 2021-Apr 3, 2021 or resort date of close. Dates not included: Dec 23, 2021-Jan 2, 2022. ***Stay 7 nights, pay 6: offer only valid at Snow Creek Lodge and Cabins, Timberline Condos, Pinnacle Ridge, Polar Peak and Thunder Ridge Town Homes. Valid for check-ins: Dec 1, 2021-Apr 30, 2022. ****15% off of 5 and 6 day lift tickets: receive 15% off regularly priced lift tickets when you book a Ski Vacation Package with Merit Travel Ski Vacations. All above specials must be a part of a Merit Travel Ski Vacations package. Additional terms and conditions may apply. As to images: ©RCR/Fernie Alpine resorts c/o Ricky Forbes, Nick Nault, Henry Georgi, Matt Kuhn; Fernie Distillers c/o Vinnie Mo