VENTURE BEYOND CROWDED RESORTS TO THE AUTHENTIC MOUNTAIN TOWN OF JASPER
These are the real Canadian Rockies, where wildlife roams the streets, and the locals greet you with smiles and stories of epic adventures.
Originating first as a supply depot in 1813 and founded as a railway town in 1911, Jasper still retains its timeless appeal. Now situated in the heart of Jasper National Park, you’ll find here 11,000 square kilometers of protected area that is an integral part of the UNESCO Canadian Rockies World Heritage Site.
Alongside stunning natural wonders and wildlife, Jasper offers all the creature comforts you’ve come to expect such as superb dining and accommodation options. From a cabin with a roaring fire, to sophisticated and modern hotels, Jasper has something for everyone.
Voted as 10 Best “Totally Epic and Secluded Ski Resorts” by USA today readers, Jasper is the perfect destination for your next winter adventure.
UNHURRIED, LAID BACK AND CROWD-FREE
Like the town of Jasper, the resort of Ski Marmot Basin is all altitude and no attitude. An unpretentious and uncrowded atmosphere is just one of many reasons that skiers return year after year, and why Jasper was voted Best Ski Town by readers of USA Today in 2018. As one of the least crowded ski areas of its kind in North America, Ski Marmot Basin offers powder stashes that last for days, wide open slopes that provide families, beginners and experts alike the room to carve turns at their leisure, and virtually non-existent lift lines.
Ski Marmot Basin is also well known for being intimate and friendly. Skiers and snowboarders will find they make friends quickly and are warmly welcomed. Jasper is an authentic, real mountain town where the locals are always quick with a smile and even quicker with advice on how to get the most and the best out of Jasper.
IS IT THE SNOW OR THE TERRAIN?
Consistent, fantastic snow that you can rely on! Ski Marmot Basin is the northernmost of the large Canadian Rocky Mountain ski areas and enjoys abundant dry, natural snow that is a dream to ski and snowboard in. With the highest base elevation of any major ski area in Canada and a latitude of 53° N, snow here falls early and continues well into May. Combined with a state-of-the-art snowmaking system, skiers and snowboarders enjoy superb snow from opening day in mid-November through to early May – that’s almost 6 months of consistent and reliable snowpack.
Ski Marmot Basin is also one of the most diverse ski areas for all abilities, with a wide variety of runs on five mountain faces. You will find everything from long, winding, perfectly groomed novice runs to high-alpine bowls and steep chutes filled with powder. Advanced and expert skiers and snowboarders won’t lack adventure in the exciting, gladed runs and in the Tres Hombres area. With different levels of runs available off each chair lift, families and skiers of varying abilities can ski or ride together all day. Ski Marmot Basin is split evenly between novice, intermediate, advanced and expert terrain, ensuring there is something for everyone.
Welcome to Tres Hombres, where there is never a crowd. Steep, deep, and wide open, this is an advanced skier and snowboarder heaven! The north-facing treeless slope some 18 hectares (45 acres) in size provides incredible advanced and expert off-piste skiing and snowboarding terrain which has long been coveted by locals and visitors alike. With powder-filled bowls and chutes that descend 367 vertical metres (1,204 feet), this is Marmot Basin’s longest uninterrupted fallline. The five runs at Tres Hombres have an average slope angle of 32.13° (62.8%) with the steepest sections at 45° (100%). With a run length of almost 700 metres, that’s a lot of turns for you and your best amigos.
Beyond skiing and snowboarding, Jasper offers a multitude of additional experiences for the whole family to enjoy:
- Experience the Maligne Canyon ice walk along the frozen riverbed beneath towering limestone walls.
- Try snowshoeing and enjoy the stunning scenery at a slower pace.
- Enjoy cross-country skiing right from your doorstep, with a variety of groomed trails to take you through beautiful valleys, and past stunning lakes and mountain scenery.
- Seek out wildlife in Jasper National Park! Local tour companies have knowledgeable guides that are trained to seek out the park’s most iconic creatures.
- Take a half day train excursion due west across Yellowhead Pass, skirting Moose Lake and past Mount Robson (the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies), then along the Fraser River to the tiny hamlet of Dunster, British Columbia.
- Try dog sledding. A classic Canadian winter experience, dog sledding connects you to the past as you wind your way through the mountains just like the original explorers of Jasper National Park.
- Go skating on a frozen Rocky Mountain Lake. What could be more Canadian than that?
- Take a ride up the Jasper Sky Tram (open from late March) and try snowshoeing to the summit of Whistlers Mountain.
MERIT TRAVEL’S MARMOT BASIN SPECIALS + PROMOS
Jasper’s Marmot Basin has so many special promotions to enjoy!
- Book by November 30th and receive 50% OFF*
- Combine this 50% off special with Marmot Basin’s “Buy 5 Days and get one day free” offer**
- Kids 12 & under ski free, with each paying adult of the same duration***
- Kids 12 & under rent free with each paying adult of the same duration***
Terms and conditions: *50% off Special. Book by November 30, 2022, and save 50% on 3-day lift tickets and longer during the 2022 2023 season which are pre-purchased a minimum of one (1) week prior to travel with Merit Travel Ski Vacations. After November 30, 2022, the 50% OFF SPECIAL expires. **Free extra days for all pre-purchased lift tickets through Merit Travel Ski Vacations. Buy 5 days get one extra day free. Buy 8 days get two extra days free. Buy 10 days get 3 extra days free. This offer is combinable with the 50% off special, book by of Nov 30, 2022. ***Kids 12 and under ski and rent free with each paying adult of the same duration during the 2022/2023 ski season. No book by. As to images: ©Jasper Marmot Basin